How membership builds community
Larkrise is a community led organisation and so at its heart are our members. Anyone that aligns with our values is welcome to join us as a member.
There are three different ways of of connecting with Larkrise:
- ‘Friends’ are invited to get involved, in the building of an exciting, innovative eco project, have fun, join us sharing refreshments and meals, learn new skills, teach new skills, donate financially and contribute to the success of Larkrise.
- ‘The register of interest’ is for people that wish to be more deeply involved and consider living at Larkrise. By working together on the Larkrise project, we will be able to get to know each other, discover each others strengths and build a healthy community.
- ‘Prospective members’ take a committed step to contribute to the success of Larkrise with the intention of joining our neigbourship when the dwellings are built.
How our community works
Larkrise works by:
- Consensus decision making
- Everyone has equal value
- All voices are heard
- Meeting people where they are
- Individuals and teams working together
- Everybody contributes and all contributions are valued
- Holding a safe and respectful space for self-expression
The Larkrise Ethos
We use consensus decision making to develop our social and physical environment. This is a process where everybody contributes. We work together to adjust a decision until there is the highest level of agreement possible.
We take full responsibility for how we interrelate and are willing to learn and grow from our interactions. Our equality is expressed in our culture of respect and openness to each other. All members contribution are taken and received with equal waiting.
From experience we know that often in a group it is the loudest voices and the ones that are confident enough to find a space to speak in discussions that get heard. Through working with consensus there is space made for every voice to be heard. We can also listen more attentively when we know we will get our turn to speak.
As a group we are held together by sharing the same ethos and values. We agree to operate with respect. In the spirit of diversity we seek to meet each individual where they are with openness and, as much as we humanly can, without judgement. We take full responsibility for how we show up and are willing to learn and grow from our interactions.
Some people work better alone and others in small groups. With a large group of people and plenty of jobs to do, we find ways of working that suit each individual to enable the necessary tasks to be achieved. It is accepted that there will be times when members will need to step back.
How our community works
Are you feeling inspired by what you have read here? Join us.
There’s no need to worry too much about where you fit in or what you bring. Become a friend and see if you like Larkrise.
If you feel drawn to joining Larkrise then we would love to hear from you. The Register of Interest could be for you.
Get in contact and we will go from there.